Looking for more ways to entertain the family for free this summer?
Here’s our guide to making the most of your garden:
- Bring nature to you. Take a look at the RSPB’s guide to making your own birdbath.
- Host your own mini-festival. Check out our festival frenzy top tips here.
- A paddling pool brings plenty of water-based fun in the garden – but did you know if you don’t fill it up to the top, you could save 30 litres of water per inch left? That’s 30 kettles full! An average paddling pool uses as much water as a family of three uses in a whole week. We still encourage everyone to have fun, but why not use the remaining water to water your garden after? Or why not pop a fitted sheet over the top of the pool when playtime’s over for the day, to keep the bugs out, and reuse the next day.
- Whether it’s a themed BBQ or teddy bear’s picnic, it’s always great to have food al fresco. After seconds (or thirds) make sure your dishwasher is full to the brim before turning on. A full dishwasher on eco-setting saves water and helps the environment.
- Keep cool with a water-gun fight! It’s much better than using a hosepipe. There’s no need to get a super soaker, basic retro squirt guns are perfect and easy to handle for a mix of ages.
- Set up a mini spa or a car or train wash station. Toys always get dirty but make it fun and give your toys a bath, or take them through a mini car wash. Just make sure there’s an adult supervising so electric toys don’t end up in the water.
- Create your own artwork masterpiece. By using chalk, you can decorate pavements or pebbles. No need to wash it off, the rain will take care of that!
- Make your own watering can or water butt. Download our free activity worksheets here.
- Gardening is a great activity and helps with wellbeing. Pick plants and flowers that are low maintenance and require less water so it's suitable for all the family. Check out our favourites here.
- Exercise and hydrate. Whether it’s yoga under the tree or playing a game of footy, make sure you keep hydrated. Refill a reusable water bottle to drink plenty of clean, clear, and great tasting tap water.
Water is a precious resource. Water’s worth saving. Only 1% of the earth’s water is suitable for everyday use. Help us to save water and help the environment. #everydropcounts