Young people will have a ball learning about the importance of staying hydrated and choosing water over sugary drinks, thanks to a new sporting partnership between Northumbrian Water and Sunderland AFC’s Foundation of Light.
Powered by Water is a new interactive educational workshop that will be delivered to thousands of students over the next year, as part of the Foundation’s ongoing programme of activity with schools in the local area.
Young footballers taking part in the Foundation’s recent skills activity week took part in a number of interactive games, quizzes and activities whilst learning about the importance of drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
The Powered by Water programme has been designed to help children learn the importance of drinking water to keep them healthy and hydrated, through a series of fun games and activities. Staying topped up with water throughout the day keeps your brain healthy, helps you think clearly, improves your mood and stops you from getting tired.
Powered by Water also teaches children the importance of choosing water over fizzy drinks and certain fruit juices, which can contain high amounts of sugar. Too much sugar is bad for your teeth, makes you feel tired and can lead to more serious health problems later in life.
Maureen Berne, External Communications Manager for Northumbrian Water said: “We’re really proud to have joined up with the Foundation of Light who do such fantastic work with young people. It’s really important that young people learn how important it is to stay hydrated, as it will assist their development, keep them healthy and give them a boost both when playing sport and working hard in the classroom.
“We hope that teaching children the importance of drinking water, through the Powered by Water programme, will help them to stay healthy, hydrated and active throughout their lives.”
Liz Barton-Jones, Head of Sport and Health for Foundation of Light added: “We’re delighted to launch the Powered by Water initiative with Northumbrian Water. The programme is a great addition to our portfolio and highlights a very cheap and accessible way for youngsters to stay healthy and active.
“We hope that through programmes like Powered by Water we can help establish habits that will have a long-lasting impact on the health and wellbeing of local people well into adulthood.”
Powered by Water facts:
• Powered by Water will be delivered to over 19,000 young people in the north east in conjunction with four sporting partners; Foundation of Light, Newcastle Eagles, Mowden Park Rugby and Middlesbrough FC Foundation.
• Our bodies are made up of 60% water.
• Tap water is just as good as bottled water. The UK has one of the best quality tap waters in the world.
• We’re still using the same water as the dinosaurs, Victorians and cave people• You can check your wee to see if you’re drinking enough water – dark yellow wee means you need to drink more!
• You get water through the food you eat as well• It’s better to drink little sips of water throughout exercise rather than a big gulp.
• 70% of the planet is water but only 3% of that is available to drink.
• If you feel tired or have a headache, it could mean you need to drink more water!