Newburn Bridge will be re-opened to vehicles this weekend, following extensive repairs to damage caused by a burst water pipe.

The re-opening comes a week earlier than originally planned, with engineers from Northumbrian Water and Newcastle City Council expecting it to be fully re-open by 9.00am on Sunday September 23.

 

The bridge was closed after a major water pipe burst back in May, causing flooding and structural damage.

 

Northumbrian Water’s Network Services Regional Manager, Davey Stobbart, said: “We know how important this bridge is to residents and commuters across the Tyne and we apologise wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this road closure has caused.

 

“Anyone who witnessed the burst at Newburn Bridge will appreciate the tremendous power of water and, unfortunately, the damage it caused extended well beyond the simple pipework.

 

“Making sure the bridge is safe has been our main priority and we’ve been working alongside the experts at Newcastle City Council to carry out this significant engineering work as quickly as we could.

 

“We’ve worked really hard to get the bridge open early and we would like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while things get back to normal.”

 

The major water main burst on the north side of the bridge during morning rush-hour in May. Since then, Northumbrian Water and the council have been working to safely repair and reconstruct the bridge, as well as supporting those who were affected by the incident.

 

Cllr Arlene Ainsley, cabinet member for transport and air quality at Newcastle City Council said: “We’re pleased that the repair work to Northumbrian Water’s pipe is due to be complete this weekend and vehicles will able to fully access the local area again.

 

“The burst pipe in May caused considerable structural damage which needed extensive repairs so I would like to thank motorists for their patience.”